Healx Logo

A day in the life

Gareth Rogers

Senior Data Engineer
8 November 2021   |  
X minutes
In this series, we spotlight different people in our team and learn what a typical day at Healx is like for them.


"I get up and have a 20 minute meditation followed by either yoga, swimming (currently outdoors in Jesus Green Lido), cycling or some weight lifting. I was lucky enough to get some kettlebells and a barbell last summer while they were briefly in stock! My morning exercise is followed by a cold shower, which I got into about 5 years ago. Unless I’ve been to the lido which is already very cold, because then I deserve a hot shower!"


"I tend to begin work with breakfast at my desk. I think it’s a bad habit but it allows me to do longer exercise sets in the morning. I usually start with catching up on work related news, Slack and the occasional email. We have a team stand-up every morning where we take turns to highlight what we’ve worked on, what we’re going to work on and any things we might need from other team members or cross team. As I can switch between a standing and sitting desk, our stand-up is the point I stand-up post breakfast."



"The rest of the morning is either technical work where I focus on growing our data platform. I work on data movement, getting the varied data sources we work with into the platform in a consistent format."


"My partner and I got into gardening in the spring of the first lockdown. Our late-summer lunch has meant picking some lettuce, tomatoes and the occasional cucumber from the garden to make a salad. For the most part we bulk cook lunches and add the fresh salad from the garden along with some homemade bread. I spend a lot of time cooking!"


"The afternoon is much the same as the morning workwise; either meetings or technical work. Healx put me into a good habit of starting pairing sessions with colleagues sooner rather than later - something that has been very helpful now I’m remote working.

For about a year now I've been spreading some exercise and 2 minute meditations throughout the day. I’ve found these are good for recovering from meetings and longer spans of concentration. I will typically fit a round in mid-afternoon and when I finish the day.


"I like to think I start at 9am but this often is pushed a bit when I’ve been to the pool or a longer cycle, so it’s pretty usual for me to work after 5pm. However, between preparing lunches or tea, or tending the garden (when the days are long) I’ve always got my next task to get to and away from the desk.

I’ve recently gotten into crochet and I've been ending my waking days working on an amigurumi project - it helps break me away from screens. I’m pretty sure it’ll be quite calming, but because I’m only a couple of weeks into learning it’s not that relaxing at the moment!"


We’re a diverse team of talented people working to revolutionise the way rare disease treatments are discovered and developed.

Our team has a broad range of expertise, experience, and perspectives but what unites us is our drive to make a positive difference to rare disease patients and their families.

You might also like: